By Laura May, Owner of Munchables Sensory Solutions Ltd.
Contributing Author OT Katie Yoon, MS, OTR/L
Talking to your child can sometimes answer many of the questions surrounding their chewing habit. In addition to creating a non-judgmental dialogue, observe your child. Do they chew only while doing homework? Primarily in the evening? Usually on hard objects? Knowing the answer to these questions can help understand the behavior and inform your conversation with a specialist, if needed.
Want to provide your child with oral sensory input in a variety of ways? You can try
- Blowing bubbles,
- Drinking through a straw,
- Eating crunchy snacks,
- Brushing teeth with an electric toothbrush,
- Humming & singing,
- Chewing gum
- And of course, using Munchables chewable jewelry.
The most important thing you can do for your child is to remove any shame and stigma from their behavior. They are helping themselves in the most effective way they know how.
Change "Don't Chew That" to "Chew this" with Munchables Chewelry.
Munchables is owned by a Canadian husband-wife team with two sensory children of their own. We understand how important it is for kids to have stylish, discreet chewies. Please reach out to us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Disclaimer: If you are concerned about your child’s chewing behavior, contact your healthcare provider for more information. Some excellent resources on SPD can be found at “Sensory Processing Disorder Parent Support”.
Occupational Therapist Katie Yoon uses her coil bracelets 3 ways:
1. Keeps her focused during long Zoom meetings,
2. Ties her hair back during therapy sessions, and
3. Offers it to students for exploration during therapy.
Munchables will be discontinuing the sale of all teething necklaces, pacifiers and teething mitts effective December 31, 2020. I have decided to make this move so that I can focus exclusively on my passion - sensory chews.
Please visit https://www.munchables.ca/collections/babies for deeply discounted pacifier clips ($5.99), teething necklaces (from $9.99) and teething mitts ($5.99). Very limited quantities.
Baby Munchables are only available for shipment within Canada.
Checkout Munchables Sensory Fidget Toys for fun, useful Christmas stocking stuffers. Prices start at $2.99.
Looking for a discreet chew? Two new Exclusive Munchables Designs have just landed! These two styles are ideal for teens or adults looking for a stylish chew necklace.
- Recommended by the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists.
- Diverts chewing from fingers, clothing, hair, and other items.
- Recommended by OTs for children who tend to chew on items when seeking increased oral sensory input.
- Helps children to filter out excess stimuli in their environments and divert extra energy which can result in improved behavior and attention.
- Supports children with ADHD, anxiety, autism and sensory processing disorder.
- Created by a mom who believed it was possible to create stylish chewable jewelry.
- Made of 100% safe food-grade silicone.
- Provides a calming, organizing and focusing response which can improve self-regulation.
- Tested, approved and loved by children all over the world.
- Features a breakaway clasp for additional safety.
- Acts as a fun piece of jewelry that children can feel confident wearing.
- Prevents torn nails, shirts and pencils and helps to protect teeth.
- Offers styles for every type of chewer. Heavier chewers should try our chewy necklaces designed just for them. Our top two favorites are the Donut or Scribbles Pendant.
- Includes a money-back guarantee. Try our styles risk free.
- Designed by a mom who is committed to finding ways to help every child with their sensory needs.
I wanted to share this gorgeous photo of Mia - a happy Munchables chewelry user. Just looking at this photo makes me smile!
Check out Mia's unboxing video on Instagram!